I have journaled before and that is how I think of blogging. However, my thoughts don’t normally follow much of a pattern – I tend to just write what is on my mind which is invariably random.
Right now I am excited about summer. I have been home from my freshman year at Saint Louis U for almost a month. Wow! Home is Grand Haven, MI and it has been wonderful being back. I love St. Louis and the friends I have made there are so special to me. It’s hard to believe a year ago I had just graduated HIgh School and hadn’t a clue about what living in St. Louis would bring. As my good friend and high school teammate told me this winter, “Now we’ve reached a point in our lives where we’ll always be missing someone.” So true. If I’m in St. Louis I’m missing my family and friends from home. If I’m in GH I’m missing my St. Louis friends and team. Not to mention missing people who are all over. My best friend from kindergarten is about to move to Montgomery, Alabama to be in the Montgomery Ballet. I’m thrilled for her. She deserves it more than anyone I know. The other night I went to see her last performance at MBA and she was stunning – the epitome of ballet and beautiful grace.
Anyway, I have a lot of really good things going on in my life right now and I’d like to just highlight a few here. It’s great to remind yourself of all the things you have to be grateful for!
- two extremely relaxed jobs. Carlyn & Co. which is an eco-friendly, artsy boutique in downtown GH and I’m a receptionist at the Tri-Cities Historical Museum downtown. Just trying to stay afloat before I get hit hard with student loan payments!
- Awesome internship with Muskegon Family Care this summer. I am working with a Diabetes Specialist, developing recipes for patients and other exercise-centered educational information. They are also doing a program for children with troublesome BMI’s that I am helping with. Yay for experience! I am so excited to get involved in my future!
- Running is going well at SLU. I have gotten substantially faster from high school which is all I can ask of a freshman collegiate year. I have proved to myself that I can do things I never thought were within my reach. I am ready to keep it going.
- Along with #2, I just really feel like SLU is putting me on the right track with what I want to do with my life. It’s exciting.
- My family and friends.
- I have a fridge filled with fresh veggies so I can basically create whatever I so choose right now. At the farmer’s market this weekend I got lots of rhubarb, strawberries, asparagus, tomatoes… and made Noodles with Kale and Spicy Rhubarb Sauce from naturallyella.com. So stunning! I am loving savory rhubarb right now.
Mom’s Rhubarb Bread – more of a cake, made it in a bundt pan. Everything is better and more fun in a bundt pan. This is a fact. I’ll post this recipe soon!
Hazelnut Rhubarb Oatmeal Bars – from http://www.thenaptimechef.com/2009/08/napping-in-my-august-garden/ what is it about a buttery – oatmealy crust?
Noodles with Kale and Spicy Rhubarb Sauce – from http://naturallyella.com/2012/04/09/noodles-with-kale-and-spicy-rhubarb-sauce/ I was so impressed with this. The sauce was tangy and then spicy from the chile. Will be making this again pronto!
Maple Tossed Rhubarb and Puy Salad – from http://www.greenkitchenstories.com/maple-tossed-rhubarb-puy-salad/ A very favorite blog of mine and this salad delivered. It was my first experience with raw rhubarb. It was an awesome combination of asparagus, rhubarb, strawberries, feta, spinach…Again, will be making this again this week!
Strawberry Shortcake – I’ll post this as a recipe as well! Let’s just say it used lemony-honey-y strawberries and shortcake infused with coconut oil and ginger. Mmmm.
And obviously a trillion other things that I just can’t mention right now. Since I’ve been home I really have lived in the kitchen. It’s a beautiful thing.
Well this was a sufficiently awkward and long first post. Perfect.
I look forward to forming a relationship with this. This will be fun:)